Woodsford Litigation Funding Limited (“Woodsford”) of 8 Bloomsbury Street, London, WC1B 3SR is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected.
This privacy notice sets out the basis on which any personal information Woodsford collects from or about you, or that you provide to Woodsford, will be processed by Woodsford. Please read the following privacy notice carefully to understand Woodsford’s views and practices regarding your personal information and how Woodsford will treat it.
BACKGROUND ABOUT WOODSFORD
Woodsford is a private limited liability company incorporated in 2010 in the United Kingdom.
Woodsford is a litigation finance provider. Woodsford offers a number of products including, single case funding, portfolio funding, arbitration funding and law firm financing. For further information about the products Woodsford offers, please see here, here and here.
INFORMATION WOODSFORD COLLECTS
Woodsford generally collects personal information either directly from you (by communicating with you through email, phone or otherwise); from service providers (such as your instructed lawyers, other experts and/or professionals); and/or other business contacts and third parties or sources (including publicly available sources, such as business/firm websites).
Generally the type/categories of personal information Woodsford collects includes:
- Name, job title and organisation / employer
- Contact information including email address and telephone number
- Demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests
- Other information relevant to its products
WOODSFORD’S PURPOSE FOR PROCESSING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION / HOW WOODSFORD USES INFORMATION IT COLLECTS
Woodsford receives or obtains and processes your personal information to enable it to provide litigation finance; to carry out its obligations arising from any contracts between you and Woodsford; to promote itself and/or products i.e. direct marketing (including providing you with information about products Woodsford feels may interest you and/or products that are similar to those that you have previously enquired about); to improve its products; for operational, historical, statistical and research reasons; and to maintain its own internal accounts and records (the “Purpose”).
LAWFUL BASIS FOR PROCESSING
Woodsford processes all your personal information lawfully. The lawful basis on which Woodsford relies to processes your personal information is:
- Contract: the processing is necessary for a contract you have with Woodsford, or because you have asked Woodsford to take specific steps before entering into a contract; and/or
- Legitimate Interest: the processing is necessary for Woodsford’s legitimate interests (these include: to enable Woodsford to provide litigation finance; to promote itself and/or products (i.e. direct marketing); to improve its products; for operational, historical, statistical and research reasons; and to maintain its own internal accounts and records).
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Woodsford may share your personal information it processes with other organisations:
- Woodsford may share your personal information with any member of the Woodsford group, which includes Woodsford’s subsidiaries.
- Woodsford may share your personal information with third parties. Any sharing of your personal information will be made in full compliance with all aspects of the the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (the “GDPR”) unless exempt by other relevant laws.
- It may also be necessary to transfer and process your personal information overseas. When this is needed, your personal information may be transferred to countries or territories around the world. It may also be processed by staff operating outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”) who work for or on behalf of Woodsford. The countries could include, Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia, the United States and other countries outside the EEA. Any transfers made will be in full compliance with all aspects of the GDPR, unless exempt by other relevant laws.
WHERE WOODSFORD STORES YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION AND FOR HOW LONG
All personal information collected or provided by you is stored securely with relevant Cloud providers and/or on Woodsford’s secure servers.
The personal information that Woodsford collects may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the EEA including Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia and the United States. Any transfer and/or storage will be made in full compliance with all aspects of the GDPR, unless exempt by other relevant laws.
The transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although Woodsford takes reasonable and proportionate steps to protect your personal information, Woodsford cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted using the internet; any transmission is at your own risk.
Subject to relevant applicable laws/regulation or industry standards applicable to the personal information Woodsford retains, Woodsford will not retain your personal information longer than necessary for the Purpose. If Woodsford becomes aware that your personal information becomes outdated, it will be updated or deleted.
The GDPR gives you the right to:
- access your personal information held by Woodsford
- have your personal information held by Woodsford rectified
- under specific circumstances, to have your personal information held by Woodsford erased
- object to the processing of your personal information based on legitimate interests; direct marketing; and processing for purposes of historical research and statistics
in each case in accordance with the GDPR.
If you would like to exercise any of your rights under the GDPR, please write to Jonathan Barnes at Woodsford (full contact details are below).
Further, if you have a complaint in relation to the way in which Woodsford is collecting and/or processing your personal information, please write to Jonathan Barnes. You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the UK Information Commissioner’s Office.
LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
Woodsford’s website may, from time to time, contain links to other websites of interest. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites and/or companies have their own privacy notices/policies and that Woodsford does not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any information to these websites and/or companies.
CHANGES TO WOODSFORD’S PRIVACY NOTICE
Woodsford may change this privacy notice from time to time by updating this page. When Woodsford does so, changes in this privacy notice will be effective immediately. If you are a regular user of Woodsford’s products, you should check this privacy notice on a regular basis and ensure that you are happy with any changes.
If you wish to contact Woodsford in relation to this privacy notice or have any related questions, please contact:
Woodsford’s Chief Operating Officer: Jonathan Barnes
Address: 3rd Floor, 8 Bloomsbury Street, London, WC1B 3SR
Telephone: +44(0)20 7313 8070