John came to the law later than most, via textiles and marketing, qualifying in 1982. However, he lost no time in making up ground and became a partner in the biggest UK law firm – Clifford Chance – just five years later. He enjoyed great success as a litigator and led the dispute resolution team for three years from 2000 to 2003.
Litigation track record examples
- Advised disenfranchised shareholders of Ukrainian utility companies in litigation with government entities.
- Handled claims by a major investment bank against the Russian government and a Russian bank.
- Advised a large Plc on a negligence action against London solicitors and leading counsel.
- Advised shareholders on a number of occasions in relation to minority shareholders’ actions and derivative proceedings.
- Advised on claims against an international media company supplying real time on line financial information, involving allegations of theft of data and know-how by a US attorney.
- Advising two leading Plcs on breach of confidence claims, including locating internal moles